The Earth’s resources have sustained us, providing our basic needs such as water, air, crops, and land to survive. But as the world’s population continues to grow, there may not be enough resources to support all of us for the long haul, unless we act now.
Protect the Planet and Make a Difference
Being proactive is key in saving the Earth and its resources to ensure that there will be plenty for us to use and consume so we can live and thrive for years to come. And although there are many ways to save and protect our planet, nothing is too small to make a difference, which starts with making a commitment to creating a positive change in keeping our environment clean and sustainable.
Energy-Saving Ways to Preserve Mother Earth
One of the best ways to show that we care about our planet is to preserve its vital resource: energy. Energy operates machinery that makes our lives easier. It also enables us to make continued progress in different fields such as health, education, trade, and technology.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, here are a few tips on how you can contribute to energy conservation:
- Take the time to unplug appliances not being used, especially when you’re not at home or the office. This will not only help you conserve electricity, but it will also keep your energy bill lower.
- Replace your traditional light bulbs with LED bulbs to lower your energy consumption by at least 75 percent. By performing this simple energy-saving technique, you save time and money, as your LED bulbs will last 25 times longer than traditional light bulbs.
- Be systematic when you take showers. By hopping in the shower with a sense of purpose and taking care of your business as quickly as possible, you’ll help reduce gallons of water normally wasted from idling under running water.
- Install a smart thermostat in your home to help you control the temperature. This translates to energy consumption that can easily cut your energy costs from heating and cooling by 10 percent.
- Take the time to thaw your food after taking it out of the freezer. This reduces the amount of energy needed to cook your food. Always opt for alternative cooking devices such as crock pots or covered pots and pans instead of the traditional oven.
Loving Earth the Stream Energy Way
Stream Energy is dedicated to finding ways to preserve Mother Earth by conserving energy.
To encourage existing members to embrace the commitment to save electricity, it offers the Stream Green plan (eco+ or Green and Clean plan), an add-on for members who want to upgrade by including its benefits in their existing, qualifying plans.
Stream Green is the company’s initiative to advance energy conservation by giving existing members access to responsible and renewable energy options.
How Does Stream Green Work?
When you sign up to include Stream Green in your Stream plan, the company guarantees that a portion of the renewable energy you consume will be generated from renewable sources, such as solar, wind, hydro or biomass, instead of coal and other fossil fuels that are harmful to the environment. By agreeing to this energy consumption arrangement, you are allowing more renewable energy sources to be added on the grid. This significant move helps the energy sector become less dependent on harmful fossil fuels to provide energy to customers.
Stream Green is renewable energy in action that saves and protects the environment without compromising your access to energy that you, your family, and your business need on a daily basis. When you sign up for Stream Green, you will be provided with a Stream Green Certificate or renewable energy credit (REC) to guarantee that you are participating in renewable electricity generation and consumption.
Are You Ready for Eco+?
When you add eco+ to any of your qualifying conventional Stream Energy plans, Stream Energy will purchase 1,000 kWh of renewable energy on your behalf. Depending on your plan and usage, this little act may offset a significant portion or even all of your carbon footprint.
By signing up for eco+ to be added to your existing conventional Stream Energy plan, you will be charged a small fee every month. But unlike other upgrade plans available elsewhere, the eco+ plan does not lock you into a contract. You can always opt out of this plan free of charge and without penalty, giving you full control of your participation.
How Do You Make a Difference?
When you commit to the Stream Green plan for a year, you will offset 1,000 kWh every month. According to the U.S. EPA’s Clean Energy Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies Calculator, this simple decision is equal to:
- Preventing 19,689 pounds of carbon dioxide from entering the Earth’s atmosphere, which gives us cleaner, less-polluted air to breathe, enabling our lungs to function better.
- Saving 1,005 gallons of gas, which can be used to fuel transportation, for instance. Imagine giving fuel to more fire trucks, ambulances, and other means of saving lives.
- Sustaining a small forest with 231 trees growing over 10 years that will significantly impact our ecosystem by providing balance.
It takes all of us to save our one and only planet that has the vital resources to sustain us for generations to come. By taking the necessary steps to save and protect our environment through simple energy conservation methods, including participating in renewable energy generation efforts such as Stream Green, you are making a positive impact in the conservation of our resources, the preservation of life, and the continued advancement of the human race.