Did you know that construction is one of the top industries in the world?
Most certainly, it’s one of the largest in the United States.
Being one of the largest revenue-generating industries must include using the newest engineering technologies. 54% of US construction companies have research and development departments devoted to construction and technology.
Here’s everything you need to know about technology in construction.
Technology in Construction
Are you up on the newest engineering technology? Let’s take a look at some of the newest tools.
Construction-centered software is available for every phase of a construction project.
- Digital design
- Preconstruction estimating
- Design management
- Managing materials and equipment
- Tracking field productivity
- Managing contracts and other documents
- Quality control
- Depreciation schedules
1. Building Information Modeling (BIM) is a 3D intelligent representation of the entire project. A project manager is able to see every detail of the project ahead of time, even details that may cause problems later.
Potential problems can then be addressed before they actually happen. Delays, which are common in construction, can be avoided.
2. Project Management Information System (PMIS) is a new engineering technology that allows for easy sharing of project information.
Those working in the office and the field can share documents and other information like drawings, RFIs, and submittals through cloud technology.
3. Artificial Intelligence (AI) makes things much easier for architects and engineers. The computer creates and produces designs with little input from a human.
The computer uses data and other information removing the process of starting from scratch.
4. Job Messaging Apps allow instant messaging and group chats which enable a crew and managers to share updates and information.
5. Augmented Reality is virtual or mixed reality software that gives employees a visual of the project.
Safety on the job is enhanced by features such as calling attention to potential dangers and environmental factors like temperature.
New technology in hardware is going way beyond the tape measure and levels of yesterday for construction projects.
1. 3D Printing & Digital Fabrication are on track to streamline construction projects and change the future of all types of construction.
Can you imagine an entire building coming from a 3D printer?
By 2021, the concrete 3D printing business will reach $56 million.
2. Drones are a great way to keep an eye on the project even when you have to be somewhere else.
Drones can also complete a survey of a property and do a complete inspection.
3. Robots such as demolition robots can do things that might be a safety issue for human employees.
Robots can also go places that people may not fit or are able to reach. They can also be used to assemble parts of whatever is being built.
The Future of Construction
Technology in construction is evolving rapidly, making the industry more and more competitive. How will you put these new technologies into practice? Visit us for reviews on the latest technology that’s changing the way business gets done.